By Dean Hammer
A spouse to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic deals a comparative method of studying historical Greek and Roman participatory communities.
- Explores a variety of features of participatory groups via pairs of chapters—one Greek, one Roman—to spotlight comparisons among cultures
- Examines the categories of relationships that sustained participatory groups, the demanding situations they confronted, and the way they responded
- Sheds new gentle on participatory contexts utilizing varied methodological approaches
- Brings a world array of students into discussion with every one other
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best practical politics books
The query of why a few nations have democratic regimes and others don't is an important factor in comparative politics. This publication seems to be at India and Pakistan, international locations with basically contrasting political regime histories, and offers a controversy on why India is a democracy and Pakistan isn't really.
(Un) Civil Society and Political swap in Indonesia presents serious research of Indonesia’s civil society and its effect at the country’s democratization efforts that doesn't in simple terms take the classical, pro-democratic actors of civil society under consideration but in addition portrays uncivil teams and their growing to be effect on political procedures.
Oxford college political theorist Stein Ringen bargains a thought-provoking meditation at the paintings of democratic rule: how does a central authority convince the folk to simply accept its authority? each govt needs to make unpopular calls for of its electorate, from levying taxes to implementing legislation and tracking compliance to laws.
“How may possibly this have occurred? ” The query nonetheless lingers between officers and citizens of the small southern California city of Bell. Corruption is not often an remoted problem to the governance of America’s towns. yet following many years of benign obscurity, Bell witnessed the emergence of a very outstanding point of public wrongdoing—a point succinctly defined through la District lawyer Steve Cooley as “corruption on steroids.
- The Trouble with America: Flawed Government, Failed Society
- Europeanization and Tolerance in Turkey: The Myth of Toleration (Identities and Modernities in Europe)
- Muslim Secular Democracy: Voices from Within
- Ethics and Political Practice: Perspectives on Legislative Ethics (Routledge Studies in Governance and Public Policy)
Extra resources for A Companion to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Dean Hammer